• Altitude: 7800 ft
• 90 kms drive from Srinagar, approx 3 hours.
• If booked in advance, TTH can arrange pick up from TRC at 3pm
• Our campsite is near the Sindh river (Shitkadi Village).
• Since there are no shops around ensure that you have all that you need already.
• Remember to carry your ID proof in original and 2 photo copies as we have to submit them at the army check post.
• Altitude: 7,800 ft to 11,500 ft
• 11 kms trek, approx 8 hours
• After the breakfast we trek to Nichnai via Shekdur.
• The trail takes you through meadows, dense forests with Maple, Pine and Bhoj trees.
• After approx half an hour, we get an army check post where we have to submit our ID proof.
• While you are at it, you can enjoy an awesome view of the Sonmarg Valley or the Thajiwas Glacier.
• The trek from Shitkadi to Shekdur is goes through thick forests of pine trees and will take approx 2 and half hours.
• At Shekdur, you can indulge in instant noodles and an omelette if you wish to.
• We follow the Nichnai Stream as we trek from Shekdur to Nichnai. • We have lunch at the Nichnai stream, after Shekdur.
• Altitude: 11,500 ft to 12,000 ft via 13100 ft
• 12 kms trek, approx 7 hours
• Trek from Nichnai to Nichnai Pass is of approx 1 and half hours ascent.
• At the top of Nichnai Pass you can get B.S.N.L network, which is the last point under mobile coverage area.
• From Nichnai pass to Vishansar there is a descent.
• At Vishansar campsite, lunch will be offered.
• We can visit the Vishansar Lake which is just 15 minutes walk from the campsite
• The first lake of the trek and one of the most beautiful ones.
• If the trek is in July, the lake will be frozen. Otherwise, we can do fishing at the lake with permission from Srinagar Fishing Department.
• Vishansar is visited by hoards of sheep and their shepherds are known for interesting stories.
• The campsite is a unique place with an open ground and you can play volleyball, cricket etc.
• Beware of dogs at campsite
• You may visit Kishansar lake, which is at approx 1 and half kms from our camp site.
• If the weather is not good we will use acclimatization day at vishansar or else move towards next camp site, rest day can be use at Gangbal camp site.
• Altitude: (12,000ft) to (12,000ft) via (13,750ft)
• 14 kms trek, approx 10 hours
• We start the trek earlier than usual.
• The trail passes from Vishansar to Gadsar, via Gadsar pass the highest point of the trek.
• From Vishansar, the trail takes a steep ascent till Gadsar Pass.
• We can see the Kishansar Lake on the way.
• From the Gadsar pass till the camp site, we descend gradually.
• We can spot the Gadsar lake en route.
• You might also spot the Glacier of Gadsar Lake.
• After the Gadsar lake, we will reach the campsite in 2 hours.
• Just a few minutes before our campsite, we will have another army checkpoint and we will have to share our ID proofs with them.
• Pack lunch will be provided
• Altitude: 12,000 ft to 12,000 ft
• 9 kms trek, approx 6 hours trek
• Mid July to mid August, the trail is laden in vibrant flowers.
• We need to share our IDs at another army check post en route.
• Moving on, we see two small lakes which are often mistaken as Satsar Lakes.
• We will visit the Satsar twin lakes, in the afternoon, which are approx 1.3 h.
• Stasar twin lakes are also known as mengen top.
• Those twin lakes are between the middle of the mountain.
• Altitude: 12,000 ft to 11,500 ft 13000
• 11 kms trek, approx 6 hours
• We walk on rocky paths for approx an hour and ascend till Jazz Pass.
• At the pass, you can enjoy views of the 4 lakes, Mt. Harmukh and its glacier.
• From the pass we descend till the Gangbal lake and camp at Nandkol lake.
• We visit the Gangbal Lake, which is one of the largest lakes in the trek.
• Post dinner, a team of Kashmiri staff will perform their traditional songs and dance.
• Altitude: 11,500 ft to 7,450 ft
• 15 kms trek, approx 7 hours
• The trail is a descent till the last point of the trek – Naranag, so take care of your knees and ankles.
• The trail will pass through pine tree forests.
• On advance booking, TTH can arrange transport to Srinagar at a charge.
• After the 70 kms drive, you will reach Srinagar by 6:30 pm.
Trek The Himalayas is a leading adventure company in India with a team of experienced and well equipped personnel. We have been organizing treks and mountaineering expeditions for decades spanning multiple regions in the Indian Himalayas. Our deep local knowledge and experience in the Himalayas ensure that our itineraries factor in the local sensibilities and ground realities. We are very grounded, and have grown over the years while learning from our mistakes and incorporating comments and suggestions of our valuable clients. Our experienced team of local guides and sherpas work overtime to ensure that we provide high quality experiences of exceptional value with no hidden costs. Whether you are the greenest of beginners or one of the sharpest professional adventure travellers, we can cater to your needs.
Here is a list of our credentials
Cancellations prior to 07 days from the start of the Trek: Get a full refund (minus 5% trek cost). The money will be transferred to the same bank account from where the transaction was made.
Cancellations prior to 06 days from the start of the Trek: 100% full refund of trek cost in form of Trek The Himalayas trek voucher valid for 1 year from date of issue. This voucher is applicable for Indian treks only.
Cancellation on Start of Trek date: Get 20% refund of trek cost in form of Trek The Himalayas trek voucher valid for 1 year from date of issue. This voucher is applicable for Indian treks only.
Cash Voucher Terms:
Itineraries are based on information available at the time of planning and are subject to change. "Trek The Himalayas" reserves the right to change expedition dates, people or itineraries as conditions warrant. If a trip must be delayed or the itinerary changed due to bad weather, road conditions, transportation delays, government intervention, airline schedules, sickness, or other contingency for which TTH or its agents cannot make provision, the cost of delays and/or other changes are the responsibility of the participant. TTH reserves the right to decline, or accept, any individual as a trip member for any reason whatsoever.
*for 15 pax
Challenging, diverse, and breathtakingly beautiful, the Kashmir Great Lakes trek is a high effort, high-reward adventure. The trail is relatively quiet compared to other Himalaya routes, meaning you’ll be able to enjoy large sections of the trek in total peace. This trek offers unparalleled views of the great lakes, making it the best option for hikers looking to see them.
Be warned, the weather in this region is unpredictable. One day it will be blisteringly hot, the next it will be cold with high winds and rain. Because of this, it's necessary to have various types of clothing.
The Great Lakes trek will take you past several Army checkpoints so make sure you've got your identity documents with you.
There are numerous types of terrain on the trail, so stretching exercises, endurance exercises, climbing stairs, and half an hour of running every day are all good ways to prepare.
You may consider taking Diamox a day before the trip to aid in acclimatization, but consult your doctor before taking it.
If you face any emergency during an adventure in Kashmir, keep the following contact details handy.
- Police- 100
- Fire- 101/132
- Ambulance- 102/108
- Police headquarters in Srinagar- 0194-2443022-23
- Police control room in Srinagar- 0194-2452092/2455883/2481628-32/2482624
- Women helpline- 1091
- CRPF Madadgaar Helpline- 14111
- Jammu and Kashmir Tourism helpline- 95607-88884
- Tourist reception center Srinagar- 95960-98882